- Two questions resulted in a great parable: The Good Samaritan.
- The lawyer knew the answer. Theory vs. Practice! MOTIVE?
- Jesus reversed the last question: To whom am I a neighbor?
The Places and People in This Story:
- Jerusalem – the holy city sat on a mountain. Jericho was to the north about 20 miles away; downhill and a dangerous road.
- The Characters:
- The Robbers: infested the way. They practiced the IRON RULE, “What is thine is mine, and I will take it.”
- Priest. He was important to the practice of Judaism. SILVER RULE, “What is mine is mine, and I will keep it.”
- Levite. He also was a man of God and a teacher of the law. Deuteronomy 33:10; 2 Chronicles 17:8, 9. What did that law require? Deuteronomy 22:1-4. A SILVER RULE man too!
- Samaritan. Looked down on by the Jews as a half-breed. A GOLDEN RULE man. Matthew 7:12
WWJD- What Would Jesus Do? What Did He Do?
- When men were hungry, He fed them. Matthew 14:15-21.
- When they were in sorrow and trouble, He comforted them. Matthew 8:23-27; Luke 7:11-16
- When they were sick and suffering, He healed them. Matthew 4:23, 24; 15:30; 20:30-39.
- When they were misguided, He taught them. Matthew 22:29
- When they were in spiritual danger, He warned them. Matthew 11:20-24; 12:41, 42.
- When they had gone wrong, He prayed for them. Luke 23:34
The Golden Rule Comes Into Play. Matthew 7:12; Luke 10:37
- Assist those who are in need. James 2:15, 16; I John 3:17; Galatians 6:10; Romans 12:20
- Comfort the broken-hearted. Romans 12:15; I Thessalonians 5:14.
- Minister to the afflicted. James 1:27
- Warn the unruly. I Thessalonians 5:14
- Pray for all sinners. Matthew 5:44-47; I Timothy 2:1-3.
- Teach those who are lost in sin. Matthew 28:18-20.
- Restore the fallen. Galatians 6:1; James 5:19, 20.
- Does the world see Jesus in you?
- Will this matter at the judgment? Matthew 25:31-46